Friday 20 August 2010

Two Observations on Overtime in Traditional Projects

Dear Junior
I have seen quite a few classically managed projects, and through friends and collegues I have been in contact with even more of them. I would just like to make two observation on the practice of working
overtime in different phases of such projects.

* It is very uncommon, actually I have neither experienced nor heard of, that project management orders overtime for requirements analysists so that they will deliver the full and finished requirement documentation on a specified date.

* It is very common, actually I have experienced it several times myself and heard of it numerous times, that project management orders overtime for programmers so that they will deliver the full and finished implementation on a specified date.

From these two observations it is probably possible to deduct lots of interesting conclusions. I will refrain from doing so here and leave it up to you as an interesting mind-game.

Yours

Dan